This template is all you need to learn how to cook barley absolutely every time ! bid, chewy barley is a versatile whole texture that is alimentary, easy to cook, and can be used in many ways .
We ‘re diving a bit deep into my mediterranean pantry. today ‘s component spotlight is one of my personal favorite grains, barley !
Barley is a unharmed grain with a pleasant chewy texture and a slenderly balmy spirit. It is besides quite alimentary and rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, which is why it is a staple Mediterranean diet ingredient.
Reading: How to Cook Perfect Barley
I love using barley in soups, salads, or as a basis for delicious dinner bowling ball. I have used it as a gorge for squash, and when I ’ megabyte in the mood for something sweet, a bowl of warm barley with warmed milk and a estimable drizzle of Greek beloved is my breakfast grain .
Hulled vs. pearl barley
There are two main types of barley : hulled barley and pearled barley .
Hulled barley is minimally processed where only the inedible out hull is removed, while the grains however retain the bran and endosperm level. It is more nutrient-dense, but hulled barley benefits from soaking in cold water for a few hours before cook. hush it does take longer to cook ( anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour ) .
My kind of unfussy grain, drop barley is a lighter cream-colored grain, and lacks the husk and bran layers. Pearl barley is still a alimentary, although it has less roughage and is not considered a “ wholly grain. ” I by and large use the pearl version because it is easier to cook and is typically ready in less than 30 minutes ( and no pawn required ! )
Whichever type of barley you choose, it is easily to cook. All you need are a few cups of water or broth and simple seasonings ( plain ol ’ kosher salt works just fine ! ) .
Is barley gluten free?
No, barley is not gluten-free, and should be avoided by those following a gluten-free diet. Brown rice is the most like gluten-free grain ersatz in recipes that call for barley. Quinoa would besides work in a pinch .
To cook 1 cup of barley grains, you ‘ll need 3 cups of water or broth. Like many grains, barley swells well when cooked, so 1 cup of dry barley grains will yield 3 cups of tender cook grains .
How to cook barley
Whether you are working with bone barley as I am here or with hull barley, the cook method is very much the same, only one takes longer to cook. hera is how to make it :
- For hulled barley only, soak the dry grains. Put 1 cup of the dry hulled barley grains in a large bowl and add 3 cups of water. Leave it alone for a few hours or overnight. This is an optional step but does help the cooking water to penetrate the grains better. (Skip this step if using pearl barley).
- Cook the grains. Boil 3 cups of water (or broth) and add 1 cup of barley.Season to your liking. For me, a good pinch of kosher salt does the trick. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until most (or all) of the liquid is absorbed and the barley is tender with a slightly chewy texture. Pearl barley takes 25 to 30 minutes to cook, and hulled barley will take 45 minutes to 1 hour to cook.
- Drain and garnish. Transfer the cooked barley to a colander to drain any excess liquid. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
How long will cooked barley last?
The smasher about this grain is that you can cook it ahead of time and keep it in the electric refrigerator to use on necessitate. You can besides freeze it !
once the barley comes to board temperature, shop it in the electric refrigerator in an airtight container. It will keep in the electric refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days .
Or, transfer the cool grains to a freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to 1 month.To reheat, defrost the barley in the refrigerator nightlong. then, add it to a saucepan on the stovetop with a few tablespoons of body of water. Cover and warm the barley over medium-high estrus until heated through, tossing occasionally .
Ways to use barley
Its balmy, slightly balmy flavor makes barley an fabulously versatile grain. You can use it in any phone number of ways, as it will not overpower other flavors .
Barley can take the place of about any other grain in a recipe, but it is most similar to brown rice and farro in taste and texture .
Use it to add bulk to salads like this roasted cauliflower salad or soups including my turmeric lemon chicken soup ( I intentionally do n’t add noodles to this chicken soup so that I can use grains when I need to add volume ) .
I particularly like using bone barley as a bed for stews, making them even more comfort. A particular favorite of mine to pair with barley is this Mediterranean-style wimp stew – calefacient and hearty in the best means !
You can besides use cook barley to replace rice in simple dinner bowls like my Mediterranean tuna bowl or lebanese wimp fatteh bowl .
And for something sugared, I love cooking bone barley into a porridge and flavoring it up with some dry yield, pungent spices, and a little brown boodle, like in this burbara recipe .
actually, the possibilities for this wholesome grain are endless. Use your imagination to create unexpected pairings !
Is barley healthier than rice? Barley has a similar food visibility to both white and brown university rice. however, it has more roughage. If you are looking to increase your character intake, barley is the better choice. What are some barley nutritional benefits? It is a very rich source of character, which both helps you stay full for longer, and improves digestion. It ’ mho besides rich in vitamins and minerals ( such as copper, manganese, selenium, and vitamin B3 ). Do you have to soak barley before cooking? Pearl barley does not need to be soaked anterior to cook because it cooks promptly. Hulled barley benefits from soaking in water system for a few hours before cooking. however, you should still budget more time for the hull grain to cook ( about 35 to 40 minutes ).
Barley recipes to try
Featured from our denounce : Pearl Barley. View all grains .
Visit Our shop
Browse more Mediterranean recipes
How to Cook Barley
This simple guide will teach you how to cook barley absolutely every prison term ! You can use hull barley or pearled barley ( I personally prefer the no-fuss, quick cooking pearl barley ). Hulled barley will benefit from soaking in urine for a few hours before cook, and it will take longer to cook than drop barley .
1 cup barley, I used this drop barley ( hulled barley will besides work in this recipe )
cups water ( or broth )
Parsley, for garnish ( optional )
If using pearled barely, you do not need to soak it (skip to the next step). If you are using hulled barley, you have the option to soak the grains in water for a while before cooking. To soak the hulled barley, place 1 cup dry barley grains in a large bowl and add 3 cups of water. Set aside to soak for a few hours or up to overnight.
Boil 3 cups of water or broth and add 1 cup of barley. Season with a big dash of kosher salt.
Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the liquid is absorbed (or mostly absorbed) and the barley is tender with a slightly chewy texture (about 25 to 30 minutes for pearl barley and up to 1 hour for hulled barley). Drain.
Fluff the cooked pearl barley with a fork. Add parsley for garnish, if using.
- Dry vs. cooked barley conversion: 1 cup of dry barley will yield about 3 cups of cooked barley.
- Does barley need to be soaked? Pearl barley does not need to be soaked. Hulled barley can benefit from soaking for a few hours before cooking.
- How to store cooked barley: Store barley in the fridge in an airtight container. It will keep for about 3 days. You can also store it in a freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to 1 month. To reheat, defrost barley in the refrigerator overnight. Then, add the barley to a saucepan on the stove with a few tablespoons of water. Cover and warm over medium-high heat for a few minutes until heated through.
- Where to buy barley? Check out our barley and other grains via our online shop.
- Visit Our Shop for quality Mediterranean ingredients including extra virgin olive oils, spices, grains and more!
Tried this recipe ? Mention @ themediterraneandish or tag # themediterraneandish
Category : How To
Leave a Reply