Before you guess into waterproofing your basement, you should understand why it might be wet in the first place. Because most basements are below grade ( ground ), they are more prone to accumulating excess moisture and suffer body of water price. here are some of the more common reasons why you may end up with a wet basement :
- Cracks in your house’s foundation are a surefire way for water to seep in through your basement walls and floors.
- Basement doors, windows, egress windows, and window wells that aren’t secure are other paths for water seepage.
- Inadequate drainage is a major cause of a wet basement. When rainwater is not properly directed away from your home, it will sit at the house’s foundation and seep into the basement.
- Improper drainage can be the result of a poor drainage system, improperly installed or clogged gutters, or even sloping around your home. If your land is sloped toward your home, water will run toward and accumulate around your house’s foundation.
Interior Waterproofing Your Basement Walls and Basement Floor
The foundation is said to be the strongest part of any home. But as a sign of the zodiac ’ mho foundation shifts and settles into the worldly concern, cracks will inevitably develop and water can seep in, resulting in a moisture basement. typically, these foundation cracks can be fixed with easy DIY basement waterproofing solutions. There are surely outside waterproofing instances where a contractor may be required to repair major foundational damage or a landscape architect/civil engineer would recommend regrading your yard and/or redesigning your drain system. however, here, we ’ ll stress on interior waterproofing that you, as a homeowner, can do yourself to achieve a dry basement .
Before You Begin
inaugural, you ‘ll want to clean up the areas you ‘ll be waterproofing. Many of the waterproof products listed downstairs will alone work if applied directly to the substrate, indeed if there are any existing coatings on the airfoil, wall, or floor, they must be removed. Old paint can be removed with a telegram brush, sandblaster, or other methods. Please reach one of our paint Centers for advice on how to best remove honest-to-god paint safely, as you must always wear proper protective gear when removing rouge. Wash the walls of dirt and dust using a scrub brush and warm water with a little bit of dish soap. If you see any shape, you can add bleach into the solution ( 1 cup of bleach per gallon of water ). however, first check the ingredients in your dish soap and do not mix bleach with any products containing ammonia ! Rinse the walls with warm urine after washing them, and let everything dry thoroughly before moving on to the following measure.
*If you see any white, powdered, crystal-like powderize on your freemasonry walls, that is flower and needs to be removed with DRYLOK Concrete and Masonry Liquid Etch & Cleaner or muriatic acerb. Please refer to the manufacturer ‘s directions before using .
step 1 : Clean the Area
first you ‘ll want to clean up the areas you ‘ll be waterproofing. Many of the waterproofing products listed under will only work if applied directly to the substrate, then if there are any existing coatings on the surface, wall or floor, they must be removed. Old paint can be removed with a cable brush, sandblaster, or other methods. Please contact one of our paint Centers for advice on how to best remove old paint safely, as you must always wear proper protective gear when removing paint. Wash the walls of soil and dust using a scrub brush and warm water with a little spot of dish soap. If you see any mold, you can add bleach into the solution ( 1 cup of bleach per every gallon of body of water ). however, first check the ingredients in your dish soap and do not mix bleach with any products containing ammonia water ! Rinse the walls with warm urine after washing them, and let everything dry thoroughly before moving onto the next step .
*If you see any white, powdered, crystal-like powder on your masonry walls, that is blossoming and needs to be removed with DRYLOK Concrete and Masonry Liquid Etch & Cleaner or muriatic acid. Please refer to manufacturer ‘s directions before using .
dance step 2 : plug Holes
For any holes, use hydraulic cement, such as DRYLOK Fast Plug, to plug any obvious holes and large cracks. Hydraulic cement seals cracks and holes in masonry, and prevents water system from flowing through them, even under imperativeness. DRYLOK Fast Plug will set and harden very quickly, in 3-5 minutes, then have a design before you start ! Use a trowel to smooth the cement before it sets .
tone 3 : filling Cracks
Fill smaller cracks with a Masonry Crack Filler .
step 4 : seal Openings
Use caulk to seal doors, windows, and window wells. We recommend an elastic sealant such as big Stretch Sealant or Lexel Sealant, both of which are waterproof and compromising .
footstep 5 : Apply Waterproof Coating
After your holes and cracks are sealed, use a rainproof coating on your basement surfaces. DRYLOK net Masonry Waterproofer is a great product that is guaranteed to protect walls and floors against hydrostatic imperativeness and water seepage. DRYLOK Masonry Waterproofer besides comes in white and gray, but these two can lone be used on walls and not on floors. Apply the concrete sealant with a timbre nylon bristle brush or 3/4 ” nap roller and make sure to work it into the pores of the masonry. Proper coverage and a minimum of two coats is required to warranty waterproofing. Read all manufacturer guidelines and instructions before applying .
*PRO TIP : tape along the concrete floor 1 edge knocked out from the base of the wall, and paint DRYLOK on the walls, along the seam between the wall and the shock, and on the floor astir until the tape. This will help prevent body of water from migrating down the exterior of the foundation and in through the wrinkle.
Read more: How to Make Friendship Bracelets
- DRYLOK Concrete and Masonry Liquid Etch & Cleaner, Gallon
- DRYLOK FAST PLUG, 10LB
- G-Force 70014 5 in. x 2 in. Ergo Grip Margin Trowel
- DRYLOK MASONRY CRACK FILLER, 10.5 FL OZ
Basement Waterproofing Tips
- Don’t perform any crack repair or sealing until all standing water is first removed from your basement floor.
- Consider running a dehumidifier in your basement to reduce condensation. This will help prevent mildew and mold growth.
- If your dryer is in your basement, be sure that it’s correctly hooked up to the vent and that you don’t feel any air leaking around the hose. The hot, moist air from the dryer can cause condensation if it’s not venting correctly.
- Another source of condensation in your basement may be sweating pipes. Check that your pipes are properly insulated with this guide: How to Insulate Pipes and Prevent Pipes from Freezing.
- You can paint over DRYLOCK Waterproofer, and we recommend a paint that will perform in high-humidity environments, such as Benjamin Moore Aura Bath & Spa.
outside waterproofing your dwelling can be a big contract, and we recommend hiring a contractor or landscape architect for a consultation if you believe there are unplayful cracks or deficiencies in your concrete foundation or if you have groundwater pooling around your house. however, there are easily do-it-yourself fixes that you can try before excavating your thousand !
- Don’t plant flower beds or bushes that require watering too close to your house.
- Make sure your gutters are clear and flowing properly to keep water flowing away from your house. Check out our guide on gutter guards and how to properly protect your gutters: Best Gutter Guards to Protect Your Gutters.
- If your walkway or patio are sloped toward your house, they can contribute to water pooling around your foundation. You may be able to re-level the slabs so that they drain away from the house instead of toward it.
Preparing for Basement Floods
One last thing you may want to consider adding to your basement waterproofing system is a sump pump. If your family is located on a high water board, some basement implosion therapy may be inevitable during heavy rainstorms. A sump pump can either be above or below ( submersed into ) your basement floor, and pumps out and discharges water from inside to outside .
Does My Crawl Space Need to be Waterproofed Too?
If your house has a basement crawl quad, it is besides necessary to not only seal the interior and outside walls, but besides any crawl spaces that may allow for water seepage .
When Should I Call a Professional Basement Waterproofing Company?
If you ‘re diffident of how deep the damage goes and whether or not you can properly fix the water problems yourself, calling a master waterproofing adept in your area may give you peace of mind .
many waterproofing serve companies offer a free inspection to tell you the extent of damage and the cost of repair services. If they find that your home has across-the-board basement leaks that have caused major structural damage or your basement is in need of basis animate, it may be best to have a professional handle the work.
- Big Stretch Acrylic Caulk, Clear, 10.5 oz Cartridge
- Sashco Lexel Clear Sealant, Cartridge, 10.5 oz.
- DRYLOK Clear Floor & Wall Masonry Waterproofer, 1 Gallon
- Benjamin Moore Aura Bath & Spa Waterborne Interior Paint
Category : How To
Leave a Reply