here ’ s a skill every family cook needs to know : how to cook rice on the stove ! sure, it seems like a childlike task. But there are so many variables : what ’ s the right rice to water ratio ? Should you rinse your rice ? Do you cook it covered ? As seasoned home cooks, we ’ ve researched all the best practices and have got them for you properly here. No necessitate for a rice cooker or Instant Pot. here ’ s what you need to know for perfectly downy rice !
The rice to water ratio
Memorize this ratio and you ’ ll know how to cook a perfect toilet every time ! The rice to water system ratio is to use 1 ½ cups water for every 1 cup white rice. Simply multiply the cups of rice by 1.5 to find the water system quantity. If you ’ re making 2 cups rice, use 3 cups water. This ratio is for white rice only. ( For brown university rice, go to How to Cook Brown Rice. )
How much does 1 cup dry rice make? 1 cup dry rice equals 3 cups rice cooked. That ’ south six ½ cup servings.
Reading: How to Cook Rice
How to cook rice on the stove
Step 1: Rinse the rice.
Why gargle rice ? This practice is a short contentious in the cook world. But it makes the best pot of rice ! Throw it in a strainer and run under cold water for 15 to 20 seconds. Rinsing rice removes starch from the external of the grains. This prevents getting a gooey, gluey, gluey pot of rice. side benefit : there can sometimes be debris in rice : the wash gets rid of that excessively .
Step 2: Simmer it covered.
Add the rice and water to the pot and bring it to a churn. once boil, turn it down to a simmer and cover it. How long to cook rice ? 1 cup white rice takes 13 to 15 minutes to cook. Simmer until the liquid is wholly absorbed. Larger amounts of white rice can take slightly long, sol check and pull the rice back with a fork to see when the water system is absorbed .
Step 3: Rest, then season.
here ’ s the crucial separate about how to cook rice : let it rest for 10 minutes after cooking ! This step finishes cooking the rice by steaming it, making the grains fluffy rather of gluey or water-logged. Don ’ metric ton cut this step !
How to season rice!
We prefer seasoning rice after it ’ second cooked to get the best bang for your dollar : we don ’ thymine even add strategic arms limitation talks until after it ’ second done. ( This is another contentious rice practice : everyone does it a unlike direction ! ) Once you ’ ve got that potentiometer of bare rice, you can go to town. here ’ s how to season rice in a basic way, then a few other ideas for season :
- Butter and salt: Straightforward and classic! Add ¼ teaspoon kosher salt and 1 tablespoon butter.
- Cilantro lime: Make Cilantro Lime Rice by adding ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro, 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter, 2 tablespoons lime juice and 1 teaspoon lime zest.
- Coconut: Make Coconut Rice by adding 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil to impart a tropical flavor.
- Herbs: Add ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs like basil, thyme, oregano, or chives.
- Turmeric: Make yellow rice by adding 1 ½ teaspoons ground turmeric with the water. (Note: yellow rice can leave a residue on the inside of the saucepan; simply wash your pan in hot water and rub it with a rag to remove.)
Want more creative ways to use this grain? Go to 15 Rice Recipes to Make on Repeat or 12 Great Leftover Rice Recipes .
More ways to cook rice
There are lots more methods and types of rice ! This way to cook rice on the stove works for ashen rice. But there are a few other methods and types of rice we cover in separate articles :
Printclock clock iconcutlery cutlery iconflag flag iconfolder folder iconinstagram instagram iconpinterest pinterest iconfacebook facebook iconprint print iconsquares squares iconheart heart iconheart solid heart solid icon
How to Cook Rice
5 from 1 reviews
- homework time : 10 minutes
- cook fourth dimension : 15 minutes
- total time : 25 minutes
- output :
6 ½ cup
here ’ s how to cook rice on the stave absolutely ! Memorize this rice to water ratio so it comes out downy every clock time .
- 1 cup white rice (any grain size)
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Optional: 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- Rinse: Rinse the rice in cold water in a strainer for 15 to 20 seconds, then shake it dry. (Here’s why to rinse rice.)
- Simmer covered: Place the rice in a pot with the water and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot and simmer for 13 to 15 minutes, until the water is completely absorbed (test by pulling back the rice with a fork). Remove from the heat.
- Rest, then season: Cover and rest for 10 minutes (this allows the rice to steam and firm up in texture). Stir in the salt, and the butter or olive oil if using. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- class : Side cup of tea
- method acting : Stovetop
- cuisine : rice
- diet :
Keywords : How to cook rice