Signs you may need to change your watch battery
The most obvious sign that you need to change a watch battery is when your watch has wholly stopped. But there are other warnings the watch can send you before the battery drains completely :
- Your watch alarm or digital display has stopped functioning.
- The second hand jumps in 5-second intervals: Many watches have this feature called an “end of life indicator”. If you notice that the movement of the second hand is jumping every 5 seconds instead of every second, then it is time to change the battery. In this case, your watch will continue to keep accurate time, but within about a week and a half it will completely stop.
- Your watch no longer keeps the correct time.
authoritative eminence : Make sure to replace your watch battery ( or at least remove it ) a soon as it runs out. If you do n’t replace it quickly, the battery may start to leak and could permanently damage the watch movement.
How long do watch batteries last?
vigil batteries are designed to not need replacing often. The battery duration will depend on the vigil and its features, but a newly purchased watch should last up to 2 years, or even up to 3 or 4 years in some cases. In older watches, the battery should last between 14 and 18 months. however, it may need replacing sooner for assorted reasons :
- The older your watch is, the faster it will drain the battery.
- Features such as LED displays, alarms and chronograph will drain the battery faster than a regular analogue watch. If you want your watch battery to last as long as possible, we recommend not leaving the chronograph running all the time.
- Sometimes a watch battery’s life may be affected by external factors such as extreme temperatures, humidity or air pressure.
important notice : We powerfully recommend you replace your watch battery every two years to avoid potential leakages that could damage your watch .
How much is a watch battery?
The cost of your watch battery will depend on the type of watch you have, from the brand and style to the type of battery it needs. As a predominate of ovolo, the more expensive your watch is, the more complicated its mechanisms are ( and most likely, the more expensive the battery ). Some watches require a more expensive battery, of up to £100, while a £2-£5 battery will be more than adequate for most simpleton watches .
Be mindful that any honest-to-god lookout battery wo n’t do. Watch battery sizes differ and sol does the voltage according to the specific type of battery ( silver oxide or lithium )
important bill : When replacing your watch battery, make sure to use the right replacement battery or you could risk damaging your watch .
Always check the rear of your watch case as battery specifications are normally inscribed there, or refer to your watch ‘s education manual. If you ca n’t find the details there, you will need to take out the barrage to check .
Should I go to a jeweller to replace my watch battery?
If you do n’t want to change the watch barrage by yourself, do n’t worry. There are enough of absolutely adequate to jewellers who will do it for you for a small fee. In some cases, going to a jewelry maker is the commend option. There are respective advantages to having a professional jewelry maker replace the battery for you :
- They are experienced and skilled at changing watch batteries, and use the appropriate tools. It’s much safer to take your watch to a jeweller rather than risk damaging your watch or voiding any warranty you may have.
- Some jewellers can mark the replacement battery with a date and guarantee its performance for one year. If the new battery dies before that date, you can bring it back to them and they will replace it at no cost.
- Replacing the battery can be difficult with some watches. For instance, watches that are sealed for water resistance have to be resealed and pressure-tested after their battery has been changed. Some watches, like musical watches, even have more than one battery.
crucial eminence : Be aware that certain brands and models require military service from the original manufacturer ( for exemplar, Cartier watches ). This choice will take longer and cost more, but you can be assured that your expensive architect watch will be in dependable hands. Check your watch ‘s manual or servicing agreement or the manufacturer ‘s guidance .
How much does it cost to replace a watch battery?
If you choose to go to a jewelry maker, your watch battery substitute cost will depend on who you go to and the type of determine you have.
The price of a watch battery substitute will vary depending on the brand, the type of watch, and servicing costs that come along with it .
For watches that ca n’t be submerged in water, the entire cost may not exceed £10. however, for water resistant timepieces, the prices may range between £20 and £50, and the more complicated and raincoat your determine is, the more prices will go up. This is because watches with high water resistance need to be resealed by rights and tested after being opened .
How to change your watch battery yourself?
Having your determine battery replaced by a jeweler might not be particularly expensive, but changing it yourself is cheaper, saves time, and, in many cases, quite an easy process. Follow the simple guidebook below, and you ‘ll be able to replace your battery in a few immediate and easy minutes .
significant note : If your watch is placid under guarantee, we recommend that you check with your supplier to see whether they allow you to open the watch or not. Some manufacturers will consider the guarantee nothingness if the determine has been opened by person else .
Step 1: Opening the watch case
There are different types of vigil cases, some of which require special tools to open :
- Snap-on cases. These include a small overlap or lip somewhere around the perimeter.
- Cases secured with screws. These have screws around the perimeter.
- Screw-on cases. These have a number of notches spaced around the outer perimeter of the case.
This type of determine case can be opened without tools :
- Slot cases. These just have a groove on the back of the watch case.
How to change a watch battery using tools
Some watches require the use of a minor cock to open. We recommend using formative tools rather than metallic element tools to avoid an electric shock or scratching your watch .
Tools you ‘ll need :
- Replacement battery
- Watch case opener or a knife
- Tweezers/small screwdriver
- Gloves to avoid damaging the inside of the watch
The most coarse type of case is the snap-on event. To open it, you need to find the lip on the bet on of the watch font. Insert the watch subject undoer under the sass, and twist the blade so that the bet on unclips from the watch case. You can now lift the watch back off the subject. If you do n’t have a watch case opener, a dilute knife will do the job, but you have to take manage to not scratch or damage your lookout .
Cases secured with screws
With a little screwdriver, undo the screws on the second side of your vigil. now remove the back case, and make surely to keep the screws in a safe plaza so that you do n’t lose them .
If your watch has a screw-on encase, we recommend you take your watch to a jeweler or the vigil manufacturer so you do n’t damage the lookout and its rainproof abilities.
Read more: How to Make Friendship Bracelets
How to change a watch battery without tools
Watches with a rut on the second of the case are the easiest to open. To open the case back, all you need to use is a coin – a 50p mint will do the job the best due to its form and width.
Hold your watch tightly, with the face resting down on a smooth flat surface, a fabric, or in your pass, in ordain to avoid any scratches. Insert your coin into the groove on the back of the vigil case. Twist the coin counterclockwise until it opens. On some watch models, you need to press on the side of the event back to open it amply .
How to change a pocket watch battery
If your watch is a pocket watch, here ‘s how to open a pocket watch to replace the battery :
- Flip over your pocket watch
- The back should either be either secured with screws, have a snap-off case back or a screw-off case back
- If your pocket watch has screws, use a small screwdriver to unscrew them
- If your pocket watch has a snap-off case back, using a thin knife blade, slide the blade under the back of the watch and pry it off gently, being careful not to scratch the case
- If your pocket watch has a screw-off case back you can simply unscrew in an anti-clockwise direction from the seam.
For more on scoop watches, including types of pocket watch and what to look for, read our Pocket Watch Buying Guide here .
Step 2: Identify the battery
now that you have opened the watch encase, the adjacent step is to identify the chastise substitution battery. In most cases, you will find the battery part number either inscribed on the bet on of the watch case, inside the watch encase or on the battery itself. When you have it, you can use it to identify and buy the compensate battery, either from a jeweler or on-line .
Step 3: Remove the old watch battery and insert the new one
Identify which side of the erstwhile battery is facing upwards, so the modern one can be installed correctly. Carefully remove the battery using plastic tweezers if it does n’t pop out well. If you see clips holding the battery in seat, use the tweezers to lift them .
Step 4: Insert the new battery
Use tweezers to place the new battery into locate with the right side up, and, if applicable, lower the clips spinal column, besides .
significant eminence : Before closing the watch case, check if the watch is working. If not, you should check you ‘ve installed the battery correctly .
In some cases, you can put on the shell back to see if that makes the battery model correctly in place. If this does n’t fix your issue, you should go to a watch haunt shop or call the manufacturer or the set you ‘ve bought it from .
If it does cultivate, then you can go to the adjacent step .
Step 5: Close the watch case
When closing the lookout case, be careful not to lose or damage the rubber ring varnish to keep the watch watertight .
Cases secured with screws
Put the watch cover back in its original place and, with a small screwdriver, add the screws .
Most snap-on cases have a little raised lip on the back. This little indent is a slot for the winder shaft. Do n’t forget to align the indentation with the winder before pressing down. once you ‘ve checked that the cover is in the chastise position, push down on the determine back using both thumbs until you hear it click into place .
To close the watch case, insert the mint into the slot and turn it clockwise. It should be fully closed, without any gaps. Make indisputable it ‘s in place before wearing the watch .
now you ‘re done. All that ‘s left is to set the correct clock time and to enjoy wearing your watch !
A useful tip on how to preserve your watch battery
If you truly want to preserve your vigil battery and invalidate watch barrage successor costs, we have a little tip off on how to extend the battery life. Please notice, this is a tiptoe for those who own a collection of watches that they do n’t wear or use all the fourth dimension .
When your watch is not in use, the crown can be pulled out ( as if you were about to set the time ) – if you leave it like this, it will stop the vigil. This way you wo n’t need to change the watch battery for longer !
When you ‘re fix to wear it again, fair push the pate bet on in and set the time .
in the first place written by
Copywriter and journalist with nine years under her belt writing about tech, AI and gadgets. When she’s not nerding out over sci-fi books and robots taking over the world, she can be found obsessing over the latest well-crafted timepieces and smartwatches that are a pleasure to wear and own.
Watches2U Social Links
Copywriter and diarist with nine years under her belt writing about technical school, AI and gadgets. When she ‘s not nerding out over sci-fi books and robots taking over the global, she can be found obsessing over the latest well-crafted timepieces and smartwatches that are a pleasure to wear and own .
Category : How To
Leave a Reply