Sushi is a exercise of art ! And we ’ re in love with these tasty bites of masterpieces.
What is California Roll?
California roll is a type of makizushi ( japanese : 巻き寿司 or rolled sushi ) where the fillings are rolled inside the sushi rice and dried roasted seaweed .
To be more accurate, the California roll is a type of uramaki roll ( japanese : うらまき or inside out roll ). This is where the sushi rice is on the outside wrapping the nori seaweed and early ingredients on the inside .
A playfulness fact is California Roll didn ’ metric ton originate from Japan, so far it ’ second one of the most popular sushi rolls in North America .
What’s in a California roll?
- Seasoned Sushi Rice
- Toasted Sushi Nori Seaweed
- Cooked Crab Meat
- Japanese Mayonnaise
- Optional: Toasted Sesame Seeds
California roll is normally served with japanese soy sauce, wasabi, and sushi ginger on the side .
Step-by-Step Guide: California Roll Sushi
Recipe Servings: This California Roll Recipe ’ mho quantity of ingredients will make 4 rolls of regular size California Roll Sushi .
first, let ’ s prepare the California Roll ingredients :
Tips for California Roll Ingredients
Japanese Rice – To make the best sushi rice, use super-premium short-circuit grain rice like Tamanishiki Rice 玉錦 or Koshihikari Rice 越光米. But if you want to use a more budget-friendly or easier-to-buy choice, use medium-grain rice like Sekka Calrose rice .
- Note: 1 cup (230g) of Japanese rice makes 3 cups of sushi rice
The sushi rice is samara to a tasty California coil. It must be whole, plump, and separated with a hearty tauten bite ; sticky but not mushy, wet, or gooey ; with a beautiful glistening semblance ; and balanced sweet-umami-savory-vinegary flavors. Check out this Best Sushi Rice Recipe .
Japanese Mayonnaise – We normally use japanese Kewpie Mayonnaise to make California Roll. japanese mayonnaise ’ second relish, texture, and tinge are slightly different compared to American mayonnaise .
Imitation Crab Meat or Real Crab Meat – Many restaurants use fully cooked ready-to-eat imitation crab kernel sticks to make California Roll Sushi. Over the years, we ’ ve tried many different brands of fake crab kernel and they can vary a lot in quality, flavors, and texture. Test & find matchless that you liked best ( or use fresh real crab meat if you can ) !
Avocado – It ’ s significant to use a advanced, ready-to-eat avocado, so it ’ s slenderly soft, smooth, & creamy when wrapped inside the California Roll. You wouldn ’ thymine want tauten & unripe or mushy & overripe avocado .
Roasted Nori Sushi Sheets (海苔; edible dried toasted seaweed sheet) – Try your best to use bracing, dry, crispen, knit toasted seaweed sheets. These seaweed sheets are not the same as the season seaweed snacks. Try to avoid using old, stale, chewy, bland nori sheets .
Toasted sesame seeds – It ’ s an optional ingredient that adds a trace of sesame olfactory property & bits of sesame crunch texture to the sushi roll .
Prepare Sushi Rice
Let ’ s get the cook & temper sushi rice ready so we can begin making sushi !
*Note: If you have an Instant Pot, follow this recipe to make some tasty sushi rice : Instant Pot Sushi Rice .
*Freshness Tip: To keep the sushi rice newly & prevent them from drying out while you prepare early ingredients, cover the rice container with a wet towel .
Prepare California Roll Ingredients
1. Toast Sesame Seeds: Toast 8g sesame seeds over medium heat for a few minutes until alight brown .
2. Make Crab Mayo Filling:
foremost, shred 200g caricature or real crab louse kernel with 2 forks .
then, mix shredded crab meat with 3 tbsp ( 45g ) – ¼ cup ( 63g ) japanese Mayo .
Be sure to sample and season this crab mayo filling with a pinch of strategic arms limitation talks if necessity .
3. Julienne English Cucumber: Julienne ¼ English cucumber .
4. Slice Avocado:
Cut avocado in half, then remove the avocado source with a spoon .
With a spoon, separate the avocado from its skin .
last, slice the avocado into roughly 3mm slices .
*Important Pro Tip: Try to be equally promptly as you can going through Steps 3 to 7 below – adding rice, adding fillings, rolling sushi, cutting sushi, & eating the sushi ! This will prevent the nori seaweed from absorbing besides a lot moisture & turning boggy, gluey, & chewy .
Spread Rice on Nori Sheet
beginning, station the sushi master of arts in teaching on the countertop .
then, layer a assemble of fictile food wrap on circus tent of the sushi master of arts in teaching to prevent the sushi rice from sticking to the sushi flatness .
*Note: For elephantine rolls, you can use the whole nori ( seaweed ) sheet .
Since we ’ rhenium making regular-size California rolls, cut the nori sheets in halves with scissors or a knife .
*Pro Tip: For nori, there ’ s a glazed side and a rough side. always home rice on the harsh side .
Layer the nori at the edge of the sushi mat & fictile food envelop ( rough side up ) .
now we ’ rhenium going to form a rice ball with the sushi rice with our hands .
first, wet both hands with water to prevent the sushi rice from sticking to your hands .
shape a rice ball using approximately 105g – 115g of sushi rice .
seat the rice ball on crown of the nori, then lightly push out the rice & evenly distribute it across the wholly halved nori sheet .
*Pro Tip: Try your best to be aristocratic & not squelch or mush the rice as you evenly spread the rice across the nori .
then, sprinkle some crispen sesame seeds on the sushi rice .
Add Ingredients to Nori Sheet
cautiously, flip the whole nori tabloid over ( rice side down ) .
Add roughly ¼ of the cancer meat mayonnaise concoction on top of the nori plane .
Layer 6 julienned cucumbers and 3 slices of avocado on top of the nori .
*Pro Tip: Make indisputable not to overstuff the sushi roll with the California scroll fillings .
Roll California Roll
Line the hale sushi rice & nori sheet to the buttocks boundary of the sushi master of arts in teaching close to you .
With your hands, tightly roll the sushi master of arts in teaching from the bed without squeezing it besides hard .
As you roll up the felt, use your fingers to tuck in & enclose all the filling ingredients to prevent them from falling out .
then, lift the boundary of the flat, and continue to roll it up until it turns into a firm cylinder sushi roll .
*Pro Tip: You can wrap the sushi hustle with fictile envelop to keep it fresh until you want to cut it .
*Pro Tip: This sushi rolling step is easy, but it ’ ll take some practice & time to perfect. Don ’ thymine concern about messing it up or your sushi not looking reasonably, particularly on your first few tries ! 🙂
Cut California Roll
first, lightly wet your knife blade with a besotted towel .
Cut the California roll in half, then cut each half roll into 3 adequate bite-sized sushi pieces .
*Pro Tip: Wipe your tongue with a wet towel after every few cuts into the California rolls .
last, place the sliced California roll onto the sushi flatness and give it a final roll to shape it .
Serve California Roll
Unwrap your sushi, then serve immediately with japanese soy sauce sauce, wasabi, and sushi ginger .
California wind besides makes great appetizers or feel food at parties, potlucks, or dinner gatherings .
Enjoy your Tasty California Roll!
from 1 vote
Start your own sushi party with this fun, tasty, & easy California Roll Recipe! Sweet-umami mayo crab with creamy avocado, and crunchy cucumber wrapped in nori seaweed and perfectly seasoned, sticky sushi rice, sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
Subscribe for Free Recipes & Tips
3 cups cooked & seasoned sushi rice [ made from 1 cup ( 230g ) japanese rice ]
3 tablespoons 45g – ¼ cup ( 63g ) Japanese mayonnaise
200 grams ( ~6 pieces ) imitation or cooked real cancer kernel , shredded
A touch salt
1 ( 196g ) avocado , seeded, pitted, & sliced
¼ ( 110g )
Read more: Microwave Scrambled Eggs
english cucumber , julienne cut
2 sheets toasted sushi nori (roasted seaweed sheets)
Optional: 8 grams toasted sesame seeds
Bamboo Sushi Mat
Plastic Food Wrap
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
Prepare Sushi Rice: Cover the rice container with a wet towel to prevent the cooked & seasoned sushi rice from drying out while you prepare other ingredients.
- Prepare California Roll Ingredients: Toast Sesame Seeds : toast 8g sesame seeds over medium hotness for a few minutes until light brown. Make Crab Mayo Filling : Shred 200g fudge crab kernel with 2 forks. Mix shredded crab kernel with 3 tbsp ( 45g ) – ¼ cup ( 63g ) japanese Mayo. taste and season with a pinch of salt if necessary. Julienne English Cucumber : Julienne ¼ English cucumber. Slice Avocado : Cut avocado in half, then remove the avocado seed. With a spoon, separate the avocado from its skin. Slice the avocado into approximately 3mm slices .
- Spread Rice on Nori Seaweed Sheet: Place sushi mat on countertop. Layer a while of plastic food wrapping on the mat. Cut nori sheets in halves with scissors or a tongue. *Pro peak : For nori, there ‘s a glistening side and a pugnacious side. constantly place rice on the rough side. Layer the nori at the edge of the mat & plastic food wrap ( grating side astir ). Wet both hands with body of water to prevent the sushi rice from sticking to your hands. Form a rice ball with 105g – 115g of sushi rice, then gently spread the rice evenly across the whole nori sheet. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on the sushi rice .
- Add Ingredients to Nori Sheet: Carefully, flip the unharmed nori sheet over ( rice side down ). Add approximately ¼ of the crab kernel mayonnaise mix on the nori sheet. Layer 6 julienned cucumbers and 3 slices of avocado on the nori sheet. *Pro point : Make sure not to overstuff the sushi bankroll .
- Roll California Roll: Line the whole nori to the bottom edge of the sushi entangle close to you. tightly roll the sushi master of arts in teaching from the buttocks. Don ’ thyroxine thrust it besides hard. Use your fingers to tuck in & enclose all the fillings to prevent them from falling out. Lift the edge of the mat, and continue to roll it up until it turns into a firm cylinder sushi roll. *Pro tiptoe : You can wrap the sushi roll with credit card envelop to keep it fresh until you cut it .
Cut California Roll: Lightly wet your knife blade with a wet towel. Cut the California roll in half, then cut each half roll into 3 equal bite-sized pieces. Wipe your knife blade with a wet towel after every few cuts into the California rolls. Place the cut California roll on the sushi mat and give it a final roll to shape it.
Serve: Unwrap your sushi, then serve immediately with Japanese soy sauce, wasabi, and sushi ginger. Enjoy~
1) Be Quick in Step 3 to 6: Try to be american samoa flying as you can going through Steps 3 to 6. This helps prevent the nori seaweed from absorbing besides much moisture & turning doughy, gummed, & chewy .
2) Jumbo Size Sushi Rolls: For elephantine rolls, you can use the solid nori ( seaweed ) plane alternatively of cutting it in half .
3) Be Gentle When Spreading Rice on Nori: Try your best to be aristocratic & not squelch or mush the rice as you evenly spread the rice across the nori .
4) Rolling Sushi: This seethe dance step will take some practice & time to perfect. Try not to take besides much time rolling because the nori sheet will continue to absorb the moisture from the rice & fillings .
*Rate Recipe: If you ‘ve tried the recipe, do n’t forget to Rate the Recipe in the Comments section. Thank you !
Read more: How to Put on Suspenders