today, a huge range of industries rely on silicone shape. product developers, engineers, DIY makers, and even chefs all make silicone molds to create one-off or smaller runs of parts .
In this hardheaded template to silicone mold-making, we ’ ll break down everything you need to know before getting started, provide a number of items you ’ ll want, and give you a bit-by-bit guide for incorporating silicone molds into any type of plan . White Paper
Silicone Molding For Product Design
Download this report for case studies featuring OXO, Tinta Crayons, and Dame Products that illustrate three unlike implementations of silicone determine for intersection blueprint and fabrication, including overmolding and tuck cast.
Download the White Paper
Why Make Silicone Molds?
silicone is a solid choice for mold-making because it offers such a diverse range of benefits. You can well create custom designs using silicone cast. The molds themselves are besides quite durable, so you can use them repeatedly without fear of breakage. Silicone ’ s inorganic makeup—compared to rubber, its organic counterpart—makes it highly resilient to heat and cold, chemical exposure, and even fungus. Some of the benefits of silicone molds include the succeed :
Silicone ’ south flexibility makes it easy to work with. silicone molds are fictile and lightweight compared to stiffer substances like fictile and they ’ re besides easier to remove once a separate is amply formed. Thanks to silicone ’ randomness high gear degree of flexibility, both the model and the manufacture partially are less probable to break or chip. You can use custom-made silicone molds to shape everything from complex engineer components to holiday-themed frosting cubes or confections .
Silicone withstands temperatures from -65° to 400° degrees Celsius. additionally, it can have an elongation of 700 %, depending on the conceptualization. Highly stable under a broad range of conditions, you can put silicone molds in the oven, freeze them, and stretch them during removal .
In most cases, you ’ ll get many runs out of a silicone mold. however, it ’ randomness important to note that the liveliness span of molds can vary greatly. The more frequently you cast, and the more complex or detailed your design, the faster your determine might degrade. To maximize the life of your silicone molds, clean them with mild soap and water, dry them thoroughly, and store them flat without stacking .
While there are a lot of benefits to working with silicone, there are besides a few limitations to be mindful of :
- silicone costs more than latex and organic rubbers. A immediate comparison on Amazon shows a gallon of silicone regularly topping $ 100—almost twice adenine much as latex paint .
- Though it ’ s flexible, silicone can tear if stretched besides far .
- not all silicone is formulated equally. Always buy silicone and any manufacture materials from a reputable supplier .
Common Applications for Silicone Molds
Hobbyists and professionals alike rely on silicone molds because of their versatility and comfort of use. here are a few examples of industries and applications that make silicone molds to produce their products :
silicone determine is used in prototyping and product development production across a wide rate of industries. Because the cost for silicone molds is substantially lower than hard joyride for traditional fabricate processes like injection model, casting in silicone molds is ideal for prototyping product designs a well as creating beta units for testing the market and consumer reception to a newfangled product. While 3D print is better suited for creating one-off parts promptly, silicone cast and urethane cast can be ideal for smaller melt of parts . Webinar
Bridging Production with 3D Printing and Urethane
Bridge production is faster than traditional manufacture methods and is useful for products where the volumes are low or the design may need to change. Watch this webinar to learn how to switch from 3D printing to mid vol cast to injection modeling .
Watch the Webinar
Jewelers use custom-made silicone molds to duplicate hand-carved or 3D printed patterns in wax, allowing them to phase out the time-consuming labor of creating wax-carved patterns for each new firearm, but still continue to cast from wax. This offers a major jump in serial production, making it potential for investment draw to work at scale. Because silicone molds capture a finely degree of detail, jewelers can produce pieces with flowery details and intricate geometries . An RTV ( room-temperature-vulcanized ) silicone mold formed around the 3D print victor . White newspaper
Vulcanized Rubber Molding with 3D Printed Masters
3D printing with high-performance materials allows designers and casters to leverage digital engineering in their product processes. Read now to learn how 3D print can be used in the product of small metallic parts .
Download White Paper
Creators use silicone molds to make many customs crafts such as soaps and candles. tied manufacturers of educate supplies frequently use silicone molds to form items such as chalk and erasers .
For case, Tinta Crayons, a modest Australia-based company, uses silicone molding to manufacture crayons with playful shapes and high surface detail . Silicone-molded automaton crayons from Tinta Crayons. ( Image Source )
Food and Beverage
Food-grade silicone molds are used to form all sorts of capricious confections, including chocolates, frosting pops, and lollipops. Since silicone can handle heat up to 400° degrees Celsius, molds can be used in cook, besides. little bake goods such as muffins and cupcakes rise nicely in silicone molds.
autonomous artists and DIYers much use silicone shape to craft unique creations. You can use silicone molds to form or replicate everything from bath bombs to dog treats—the possibilities are about dateless. A fun silicone mold project for kids is to create a lifecast of their hand. Just make indisputable you choose a skin-safe silicone .
How To Make Patterns for Silicone Molding
A pattern—sometimes referred to as a master—is the separate you use to create a precise negative in your silicone mold. If you are just trying to replicate an existing object, it might make smell to use that object as your pattern. You ’ ll good need to be sure that the object can withstand the mold-making summons.
To create a new purpose or prototype, you must first fabricate your radiation pattern ; you have respective options for this. here are a few ways to make patterns for silicone shape :
- Sculpting – If you ’ re a talented sculptor or if you ’ re creating a relatively simpleton design, you can use clay to create a practice. Sculpting a convention is besides a fun project for kids and a cost-efficient option for DIYers .
- Carving – You can make your model out of wood. Carved wood masters are an excellent choice for making tiles and flat designs .
- 3D printing – many professionals and commercial designers choose to 3D print patterns. Desktop 3D printers offer many benefits, including blueprint flexibility within CAD software, high accuracy, facilitate of prototype modification, and quick reversion times .
once you have a blueprint, you can get started with making your silicone mildew . White paper
Guide to Rapid Tooling
In this white newspaper, learn how to combine rapid tooling with traditional fabrication processes like injection model, thermoforming, or cast.
Download the White Paper
Getting Started with Silicone Mold-Making
here ’ sulfur everything you ’ ll need to build a basic silicone molding kit :
- A master radiation pattern
- Liquid silicone, such as Smooth-On OOMOO 30
- A box or nonporous container for the mold housing
- Mold exhaust, such as Smooth-On universal mold release
- Wax, resin, or other end-use substantial
One-Piece vs. Two-Piece Silicone Molds
Before you start making your molds, you ’ ll indigence to determine which type of mold ( s ) you want to create .
One-piece silicone molds are like ice cube trays. You fill the mildew and then let the material set. however, good as an ice block tray creates cubes with a flatcar top, one-piece molds will entirely work with designs that have a flat side. If your master has deep undercuts, that besides makes it harder to remove it and the finished parts from the mold once the silicone sets without damage .
When these are not a business for your design, a one-piece silicone shape is an ideal way to create a seamless 3D reproduction of your master on all of its early surfaces . One-piece silicone molds are ideal for designs that have a flat side and no deep undercuts. A bikini silicone mildew is better for reproducing your 3D overlord without a flat side or has deep undercuts. The determine splits into two pieces that join back together, forming a fillable 3D cavity ( alike to how injection molding works ) .
Two-piece molds leave no categoric surfaces and are easier to work with than individual blocking molds. On the downside, they are a sting more complex to create and seams may form if the two pieces aren ’ thyroxine perfectly blush . Two-piece silicone molds can reproduce any overcome invention. ( persona informant )
How to Make Silicone Molds
first gear, you ’ ll necessitate to decide if you want to use a one-piece or two-piece determine. The processes for making these molds are alike, but it will take a sting longer to create a bipartite mold. You can use the adopt bit-by-bit teaching to create your own silicone molds .
One-Piece Silicone Mold
- Create your product master: This is your final separate design, which will be replicated in another corporeal. When 3D printing on a stereolithography ( SLA ) 3D printer, use any Standard Resin with a layer height of 50 microns. Keep the detail surface release of accompaniment marks. Wash the parts thoroughly with IPA—any remainder cheapness on the open can affect the silicone shape process .
- Construct the mold housing: Coated MDF is a popular choice for constructing a containment box for the silicone mold, but tied a simple premade formative container will do. Look for nonporous materials and a flat bottom .
- Lay out the master and apply mold release: Start by lightly misting the inside of the mold caparison with cast dismissal. Tile the masters inside the box with the detail side up. lightly spray these with mold secrete equally well. This will need about 10 minutes to dry thoroughly .
- Prepare the silicone: Mix the silicone rubber according to the box instructions. You can use a thrill device like a hand-held electric drum sander to remove air bubbles .
- Pour the silicone into the mold housing: lightly pour the shuffle silicone rubber eraser into the containment box in a pin down current. Aim for the lowest part of the box first base ( the base ) and gradually come up the contours of your 3D print dominate. Cover it with at least one centimeter of silicone. The curing process will take from one hour to one sidereal day to complete, depending on the silicone type and brand .
- De-mold the silicone: When cure is complete, peel the silicone out of the containment box and remove the masters. This will serve as your methamphetamine cube tray-style mold for casting your end-use merchandise .
- Cast your part: Again, it ’ s a good idea to lightly spray the silicone cast with mold secrete and let it dry for 10 minutes. Pour your end-use material ( wax or concrete, for case ) into the cavities, and allow to cure .
- Prepare the mold for the next casting: You can use this silicone mold multiple times. Return to step seven to repeat the process .
Two-Piece Silicone Mold
To create a bipartite mold, start by following the foremost two steps above, which include creating a victor and constructing the mold house. After that, follow this serve to create a bipartite mold :
- Lay out the masters in clay: Use the clay to form what will finally be one one-half of your cast. The cadaver should be placed inside your cast housing with one-half of your master sticking out of the clay .
- Prepare and pour your silicone: Follow the software instructions included with your silicone to prepare and gently pour the silicone into your mold housing on top of the clay and your masters. This layer of silicone will be one half of your two-piece mold .
- Remove everything from the mold housing: once your first mold has cured, you ’ ll motivation to remove the silicone mildew, masters, and mud from the mold caparison. It ’ south all right if the layers separate upon origin .
- Clean away the clay: Clean all of the clay away to reveal your foremost silicone shape and masters. Make certain your masters and your existing shape are completely clean .
- Place the mold and masters back in the mold housing: Insert both your existing silicone cast and the masters ( laid in the mold ) back into the mold house facing up alternatively of down .
- Apply release agent: Apply a thin layer of publish agent to the acme of your master and existing silicone model to make de-molding easier .
- Prepare and pour the silicone for your second mold: Following the lapp instructions as ahead, organize and pour the silicone into the mold caparison to create your moment mold .
- Wait for your second mold to cure: Allow enough of time for your moment shape to cure before attempting to remove it from the mold house.
- De-mold your parts: Remove both silicone molds from the mold housing and lightly pull them apart .
A World of Possibilities with Silicone Molding Techniques
At the end of the sidereal day, there ’ s no matchless right way to make products, whether they ’ rhenium food, figurines, or commercial components. diverse output methods are frequently used together to achieve the best results ; understanding all of their unique advantages and disadvantages will help you make the best decisions for your project .
Want to discover more techniques and applications for silicone mold-making ? Download our silicone Molding for Product Design flannel paper .
Category : How To
Leave a Reply