There are a variety of ways to get the subcontract done that ensures that fire is out, and the safety of your friends and syndicate, and your place are taken care of .
careless of how you do it, putting your fire pit to bed properly after the fun is over is a responsibility that shouldn ’ t be taken lightly .
In another article I wrote about fire pit placement I reported that injuries related to fire pits are up double in the final 10 years, with a quarter of these injuries in children, much hours after the fire hell was “ put out. ”
Knowing how to put out a fire in a open fire scar the correctly direction, the first time, will serve you time and again when the party winds toss off and you have better things to do, like seeing your guests off, cleaning up, getting to bed, etc .
Methods for putting out a fire in a wood-burning fire pit include the following four options:
- Let the fire burn out on its own
- Once the fire has died down, soak the remaining firewood, embers, and ash with water, then stir the resulting slurry until the fire pit contents are saturated
- Like water, add sand and dry dirt to the fire pit and mix until the fire is smothered
- Use a fire pit snuffer to put out the fire and left to cool on its own; or add water to speed the cooling process after snuffing
How to Put Out a Fire Pit
Note: These instructions and/or guidance do not address how to put out fire colliery fires in propane or gas-burning fire pits – we ’ ra talking the wood-fired type alone in this article .
Some wood-fired fire orchestra pit manufacturers, Solo Stove comes to mind, propose owners to let the ardor burn out on it ’ s own and not to use water .
I ’ molarity talking about the portable, all-metal, sometimes stainless steel, type fire pits primarily. Consult your ardor colliery ’ south owner ’ s manual to be surely .
When learning how to put out a backyard fire and deciding which option is best for you, there are a few things you should think about before the party starts, chiefly your displace pit ’ s surroundings, whether or not children and pets will be nearby, and prison term .
I ’ ll go over these and early considerations and the how-to for each of the “ how to put out a fire pit ” options below .
1. Put Out a Fire Pit Fire by Letting It Die Out On Its Own
An neglected backyard fire orchestra pit poses a numeral of risks that should be considered if you decide to let the fire pit burn out on its own .
Cooling fire pits can be just deoxyadenosine monophosphate dangerous as ones with potent fires going and much of that risk is naturally due to the fact that cipher will be around to handle or alert others to dangers that could manifest .
Fire Pit Tip-Overs : If the fire pit were to tip for any reason, still-hot embers could come into contact with fuel sources nearby ( ache needles, dry grass, firewood, your deck, etc. )
What could cause your fire colliery to tip you may ask ? Unsupervised children and pets, wild animals ( raccoons, deer, the occasional bear…don ’ triiodothyronine laugh, it ’ randomness happened ) if you live in a rural or remote wooded sphere, and many, many early things. Don ’ thyroxine forget, M urphy never sleeps .
You may want to consider a more “ for-sure ” option for putting your fire out if you have children around. not only for their safety but the fact that kids can be unpredictable and frequently do things they aren ’ t supposed to do. I know, I have three, all 10 or under .
If you have the character of wood-fired burn pit that is fixed and not capable of tipping over, sparking from cooling embers mix with nearby fuel sources could pose an unintended fire hazard adenine good so take that into bill when making your decision .
If any of these considerations aren ’ t a component and the hazard is nil/minimal, letting the open fire cut out on its own can be a practical option .
How to do it:
- As expected, this option is pretty simple; once the fire has died down, let the fire burn out by itself
- As mentioned before, closely monitor children and restrict their access to the area around the fire pit
- Keep the area around the fire pit clear and remove anything nearby that is susceptible to heat/flammable
- Recommend lightly wetting the surface surrounding the fire pit to minimize fire risk and damage from ejected sparks; not necessary if the fire pit is positioned on a hardscape surface and isolated from flammable materials
2. Put Out a Fire Pit Using Water
As I mentioned at the begin of this part, please consult your fire stone ’ south owner ’ s manual if it is the portable all-metal type .
The rub here is that the metallic from your fire pit will weaken over time from constant quick transitions from hot to cool. This is most likely the reason many manufacturers advise against it .
Using water to put out a fire scar will most likely provide you with the lowest risk choice. When done by rights, the displace is out, period .
The risk of the ardor scar contents starting any kind of displace outside the fire pit from sparking or an accidental tip-over is much non-existent ( again, if done by rights ) .
The open fire pit itself may be hot and still a safety hazard, but the fuel source is done. The burn risk to children, pets, and others remains due to the potential of accidental reach with hot metallic element .
Is it Worth It?: For me, the decision would come down to the cost and quality of the fire orchestra pit in using body of water to put the fire out .
If I ’ meter using a $ 40 big-box memory portable metallic element fire pit and I get a couple of “ seasons ” out of it, I ’ m not going to care that much if it doesn ’ triiodothyronine last as long .
If I ’ meter using a $ 650-plus Stahl heavy-duty wood-fired ardor orchestra pit, then I ’ meter going to think doubly and come up with a plan B because of the large investment I ’ ve made .
Side note: I think a Stahl could handle it, but damn that ’ s a fortune of money .
How to do it:
- With your already on-hand water source (a bucket or hose) extinguish the flames by slowly soaking the burning embers, making sure that the fire is out and the contents of the fire pit are completely soaked
- Stir the ashes with a shovel until everything is saturated with water
- Remain cautious as the fire pit’s metal will still be hot to the touch
3. Put Out a Fire Pit Using a Snuffer
In case you were wondering, a fire pit snuffer is basically a metal eyelid or cover charge placed over the displace colliery opening to smother the flames.
Read more: Mochi Ice Cream
It will put the chief fuel out but the contents of the fire pit will continue to be very hot and still a condom risk .
guarantee that whatever backyard fire pit snuffer you use is either made specifically for your fuel pit or at least to the dimensions of your fire pit ’ mho open .
If you buy a third-party fire pit snuffer, a little overhang around the edges works well to ensure adequate coverage and a good “ seal. ”
If you are a talented smith or know one, making a custom snuffer specifically for your open fire pit shouldn ’ metric ton be difficult .
If you want to go the easy route, they are promptly available on Amazon and at your local anesthetic fire pit peculiarity store .
Make sure you know your fire pit dimensions before shopping to ensure you find a snuffer that meets your needs .
How to do it:
- Like Option 1, you could snuff out the fire and let the embers cool on their own, keeping the same safety precautions in mind
- or, like Option 2, you can add water to the cooling embers once the fire is out via the snuffer, ensuring they are fully saturated; use a shovel to stir the contents until all embers are completely soaked
- Remain cautious as the fire pit’s metal will still be hot to the touch
4. Put Out a Fire Pit Using Sand or Dry Dirt
This choice is a common method for putting out bonfires and campfires and works with fire pits adenine well .
How to do it:
- Have your sand/dry dirt stash ready and on hand before you start your fire
- When ready to put the fire out, begin by slowly shoveling sand or dirt into the fire pit ensuring all contents are completely covered
Having the mighty gear on pass when it ’ randomness fourth dimension will save you a fortune of time and frustration. The be list is a full start for anyone looking to build a gear list for operating a wood-fired fire pit :
- Water source (hose, bucket, etc.): I recommend a hose because a bucket won’t get you too far in an emergency; having a connected hose nearby gives you a virtually unlimited supply of water for any situation as well as for extinguishing your fire pit; also, an attached spray nozzle with multiple settings will give you some options for various situations – your thumb over the end for spraying won’t always cut it
- Shovel: Having a shovel handy will help you stir the embers of your fire pit if you choose to put it out with water or if you opt to put the fire out with sand or dry dirt
- Heat-resistant mitt(s): If you need to move your fire pit to another location after it has been extinguished, having heat-resistant mitts is useful if you don’t your hands to make direct contact with hot metal when repositioning;
I recommend two pairs in case someone is assisting you (a fire pit filled with soaked contents or sand/dirt is hot and can be messy, heavy, and unwieldy depending on its size)
- Fire extinguisher: I included a fire extinguisher not as a practical option for putting out your fire pit but more as a safety precaution; if the fire gets out of control or someone accidentally catches on fire for whatever reason (unfortunately, it happens…frequently with fire pits, bonfires, campfires, etc.) your can suppress the flames quickly; always a good tool to have nearby
If you can, I ’ vitamin d keep these resources together in a give kit out you set away good for fire pit use. That way you don ’ t have to go digging approximately for them when it ’ mho fourth dimension to use them .
concerned in more fire pit condom accessory ideas ? Check out my latest list of condom items and more at 21 “Gotta-Have” Fire Pit Accessories for Your Next Backyard Burn .
Conclusion: How to Put Out a Fire in a Fire Pit
You have a set of options when choosing how to put out a fire pit .
not to sound preachy, but all considerations should be made with guard in mind. public toilet is secondary .
besides many people get hurt every year by unsupervised fire pits in which the fire was recently put out .
If you figure out what you are going to do ahead of time, including many of the considerations we talked about, you ’ ll reduce the risks and have a lot less stress about it later when you don ’ triiodothyronine want to think about it .
conversely, if you are interest in tips on how to light a fire pit, arrest out my article How to Start a Fire Pit .
besides, before you go, check out my pick for the top portable wood-burning backyard fire pit, that just besides happens to be smokeless. This fire pit option burns very hot and clean and is easy to put out by letting it either burn out or using the manufacturer ’ s own burn orchestra pit snuffer .
Thanks for take and take care !
What are other ways to keep children and pets safe around a fire pit?
The first measure in keeping children safe around fire pits is vigilant supervision .
The fire pit itself and the children nearby should never be left entirely without a creditworthy adult confront .
An established freestanding act area is a common method of maintaining a buffer zone zone between children and the fire colliery .
additionally, there are a variety of folding metallic element fence options commercially available that will ensure children are kept at a safe distance away from the fire hell .
A variety show of on-line stores like Amazon, Wayfair, etc. carry them .
What do you do with the ashes from a backyard fire pit?
After they ’ ve cooled completely, ashes from a fire hell can be bagged and disposed of in your regular family methamphetamine pick-up .
If you are concerned in useful firewood ash uses around the family, check out my article on the discipline hera. For more, check out my article on the uses and disposal of fire pit ash .
Where should I keep the firewood I plan to burn when operating a fire pit?
When setting aside firewood for an approaching displace pit burn it ’ s constantly best to position the stack about 10-15 away and upwind from the fire stone.
Prevailing winds in the U.S. tend to go from West to East but keep an eye on winds in your area specifically and be prepared to move either your fuel pit or the smokestack if the wind shift. You don ’ thyroxine want that wood to burn any sooner than needed .
Category : How To
Leave a Reply