With rigid column sourcing guidelines, we only link to academic research institutions, reputable media sites and, when inquiry is available, medically peer-reviewed studies. note that the numbers in parentheses ( 1, 2, etc. ) are clickable links to these studies .
Designed specifically for fighting bacterial infections, antibiotics are one of aesculapian doctors ’ front-runner tools for treating many health issues. There ’ mho another underutilized natural “ medicate ” that many doctors don ’ thymine tell their patients about : marjoram petroleum ( besides called anoint of oregano ) .
Oregano anoint has proven to be a potent, plant-derived essential petroleum that may rival antibiotics when it comes to treating or preventing respective infections. In fact, it contains properties that are antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal .
In addition, oregano essential vegetable oil is unlikely to cause many of the harmful english effects that are normally attributed to high use of antibiotics — such as increased risk for antibiotic resistance, poor intestine health due to destroying beneficial probiotic bacteria, reduced vitamin concentration and leaky gut syndrome due to damage of the gastrointestinal tract ’ south lining .
meanwhile, oregano anoint benefits extend beyond just controlling infections. What else is oregano essential oil used to treat ?
common examples of conditions that oregano oil can help manage include :
- Athlete’s foot or toenail fungus
- Common colds
- Earaches or toothaches
- Digestive problems, such as heartburn and small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
What Is Oregano Oil?
Oregano ( Origanum vulgare ) is an herb that is a penis of the mint family ( Labiatae ). It has been considered a valued plant commodity for over 2,500 years in family medicines that originated across the earth .
It has a very long consumption in traditional medicine for treating colds, indigestion and upset abdomen .
You might have some experience cooking with fresh or dry marjoram leaves — such as oregano zest, one of the top herb for healing — but marjoram all-important vegetable oil is far from what you ’ d put in your pizza sauce .
Found in the Mediterranean, throughout many parts of Europe, and in South and Central Asia, medicative grade marjoram is distilled to extract the essential oil from the herb, which is where a high assiduity of the herb ’ s active constituents are found. It takes over 1,000 pounds of wild oregano to produce just one egyptian pound of marjoram essential oil, in fact .
The petroleum ’ s active ingredients are preserved in alcohol and used in necessity oil mannequin both locally ( on the hide ) and internally .
When made into a medicative supplement or essential oil, oregano is much called “ oil of oregano. ” As mentioned above, oregano anoint is a considered a natural alternative to prescription antibiotics .
vegetable oil of oregano contains two knock-down compounds called carvacrol and thymol, both of which have been shown in studies to have hard antibacterial and antifungal properties .
Oregano ’ randomness oil is primarily made of carvacrol, while studies show that the plant ’ s leaves contain a variety show of antioxidant compounds, such as phenols, triterpenes, rosmarinic acid, ursolic acidic and oleanolic acid .
Oregano Oil Benefits
What can you use marjoram necessity petroleum for ? The prevailing healing compound found in marjoram oil, carvacrol, has widespread uses ranging from treating allergies to protecting the skin. The faculty of Pharmacy at the University of Messina in Italy reports that :
Carvacrol, a monoterpenic phenol, has emerged for its wide spectrum activeness extended to food spoilage or infective fungi, yeast and bacteria angstrom well as human, animal and plant infective microorganisms including drug-resistant and biofilm form microorganisms .
Carcavol found in marjoram essential oil is thus potent that it has been been the focus of over 800 studies referenced in PubMed, the worldly concern ’ s No. 1 database for scientific evidence-based literature. To give you a sense of how multi-functional and impressive carvacrol is, it has been shown in studies to help reverse or reduce some of these common health problems :
- Bacterial infections
- Fungal infections
here ’ s a expression at the top health benefits of oregano oil :
1. Natural Alternative to Antibiotics
What ’ s the trouble with frequently using antibiotics ? Broad-spectrum antibiotics can be dangerous because they don ’ metric ton only kill bacteria that are responsible for infections, but they besides kill good bacteria that we need for optimum health .
In 2013, the Wall Street Journal printed a fantastic article highlighting the dangers that patients may face when they repeatedly use antibiotics. In the writer ’ sulfur words, “ Recent studies have shown that doctors are overprescribing broad-spectrum antibiotics, sometimes called the big guns, that kill a wide swath of both good and badly bacteria in the body. ”
overexploitation of antibiotics, and prescribing broad-spectrum drugs when they aren ’ thyroxine needed, can cause a range of problems. It can make the drugs less effective against the bacteria they are intended to treat by fostering the increase of antibiotic-resistant infections, and it can wipe out the soundbox ’ south good bacteria ( probiotics ), which help digest food, produce vitamins and protect from infections, among other functions .
unfortunately, broad-spectrum antibiotics are identical normally prescribed, often for conditions in which they have no use, such as viral infections. In one study published in the Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, researchers from the University of Utah and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention found that 60 percentage of the time when physicians prescribe antibiotics they choose broad-spectrum types .
A exchangeable study of children, published in the diary Pediatrics, found that when antibiotics were prescribed they were broad-spectrum 50 percentage of the clock, chiefly for respiratory conditions .
In contrast, what does petroleum of oregano do for you that makes it then beneficial ? basically, taking oregano oil is a “ broad-spectrum approach ” to protecting your health .
Its active ingredients help fight multiple types of harmful pathogens, including bacteria, yeast and fungi. As a discipline in the Journal of Medicinal Food diary stated in 2013, oregano oils “ represent an cheap informant of natural antibacterial substances that exhibited electric potential for use in infective systems. ”
2. Fights Infections and Bacterial Overgrowth
here ’ s the estimable newsworthiness regarding the use of less-than-ideal antibiotics : There ’ mho evidence that oregano necessity vegetable oil can help fight at least several strains of bacteria that cause health problems that are normally treated with antibiotics .
here are some highlights of the ways oregano vegetable oil benefits these conditions :
- Dozens of studies confirm the fact that oregano oil can be used in place of harmful antibiotics for a number of health concerns.
- In 2011, the Journal of Medicinal Food published a study that evaluated the antibacterial activity of oregano oil against five different types of bad bacteria. After evaluating the antibacterial characteristics of oil of oregano, it showed significant antibacterial properties against all five species. The highest activity was observed against E. Coli, which suggests that oregano oil could potentially be routinely used to promote gastrointestinal health and prevent deadly food poisoning.
- A 2013 study published in Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture concluded that “O. vulgare extracts and essential oil from Portuguese origin are strong candidates to replace synthetic chemicals used by the industry.” Researchers from the study found that after studying the antioxidant and antibacterial properties of oregano, Origanum vulgare inhibited the growth of seven tested strains of bacteria that other plant extracts could not.
- One study involving mice that was published in the journal Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia also found impressive results. In addition to fighting bacteria like listeria and E. coli, researchers also found evidence that oregano oil may have the ability to help pathogenic fungi.
- Other evidence shows that oregano oil’s active compounds (such as thymol and carvacrol) can help fight toothaches and earaches caused by bacterial infections. A 2005 study published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases concluded, “Essential oils or their components placed in the ear canal can provide effective treatment of acute otitis media.”
3. Helps Reduce Side Effects From Medications/Drugs
In holocene years, many studies have found that one of the most promise oregano vegetable oil benefits is helping reduce side effects from medications/drugs. These studies give hope to people who want to find a way to manage the atrocious suffer that accompanies drugs and medical interventions, such as chemotherapy or use of drugs for chronic conditions like arthritis .
A study published in the International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine showed that phenols in anoint of marjoram can help protect against methotrexate toxicity in mouse.
Methotrexate ( MTX ) is a drug normally used to treat a wide array of issues from cancer to rheumatoid arthritis, but it ’ s besides long-familiar to have dangerous side effects. After evaluating petroleum of oregano ’ s ability to keep these factors at bay, researchers believe it ’ s due to oregano ’ south antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties .
Oregano was shown to work better than drugs that are ineffective at providing full moon protection against MTX ’ sulfur adverse effects .
By evaluating respective markers in the sciatic heart in mouse, it was observed for the first time that carvacrol decreased the proinflammatory reaction in mouse being treated by MTX. Being a relatively new concept in the inquiry earth, it ’ s probably that there will be more studies testing these results because “ groundbreaking ” doesn ’ triiodothyronine even begin to describe the significance of this potential oregano health benefit .
similarly, research conducted in the Netherlands showed that oregano essential oil can besides “ prevent bacterial overgrowth and colonization in the bombastic intestine during oral iron therapy. ” Used to treat iron lack anemia, oral iron therapy is known to cause a serial of gastrointestinal issues like nausea, diarrhea, constipation, heartburn and vomit .
It ’ s believed that carvacrol targets the out membrane of gram-negative bacteria and increases membrane permeability, thereby causing depletion of harmful bacteria. In accession to its antimicrobial properties, carvacrol besides interferences with certain pathways for bacterial iron handle, which helps lower side effects of iron therapy .
4. Helps Treat Athlete’s Foot
One learn found that a combination of heat, salt and function of necessity oils ( including oregano ) had inhibitory effects against mycelium of T. rubrum and conidium of T. mentagrophytes, bacterial strains that normally cause the fungal infection known as athlete ’ randomness metrical foot .
The researchers concluded that thermotherapy combined with all-important oils and salt would be promising to treat tinea pedis in a foot bathe. After testing the fungicidal natural process of 11 essential oils against the bacteria known to cause athlete ’ s foot, oregano anoint was found to be the most powerful ( followed by thyme, cinnamon bark, lemongrass and cleave ) .
5. Helps Treat Digestive Issues (Including SIBO and Heartburn)
several of the active compounds found in Origanum vulgare can help aid digestion by relaxing the muscles of the GI tract and besides helping balance the proportion of good-to-bad bacteria in the gut .
Thymol, one of oregano ’ s active compounds, is a like colonial to menthol, which is found in peppermint oil. Like menthol, thymol may help relax the soft tissue of the throat and abdomen, which can help to decrease GERD, heartburn and discomfort after eating .
Because it helps balance bacteria and fights yeast giantism, oregano essential oil is besides a popular natural treatment for candida and SIBO. SIBO is a park digestive problem that causes gas, bloating and intolerances to many carbohydrate-containing foods ( specially FODMAPs ) .
Origanum vulgare hinders bacterial replica and can be used similarly to antibiotic medications, such as rifaximin ( Xifaxan ), for treating infections that affect digestive health and alimentary absorption .
A 2014 study published in Global Advances in Health & Medicine found evidence that use of herb tea antimicrobials is fair deoxyadenosine monophosphate effective as the antibiotic normally given for the treatment of SIBO. When 104 patients diagnosed with SIBO ( via lactulose hint test ) were treated either with rifaximin ( 1,200 milligrams ) or herbal antimicrobials over the run of four weeks, the results showed that 46 percentage of the patients treated with herb tea antimicrobials experienced symptom improvements compared to only 34 percentage treated with the antibiotic rifaximin .
additionally, 14 of the 44 patients who calm had SIBO after a class of rifaximin were then treated with herb tea antimicrobials. fifty-seven percentage responded positively to the herbal treatment even after failing to feel better from the antibiotics .
6. Can Help Treat Parasites
One study found that when adults whose stools tested convinced for enteric parasites ( including Blastocystis hominis, which causes digestive distress ) supplemented with 600 milligrams of oregano for six weeks, many experienced significant improvements in gastrointestinal symptoms .
Researchers reported a complete fade of Entamoeba hartmanni ( four cases ), Endolimax nana ( one case ) and Blastocystis hominis in eight cases. Gastrointestinal symptoms improved in seven of the 11 patients who tested cocksure for Blastocystis hominis, which tends to cause symptoms like nausea, accelerator, bloating and abdominal pain .
7. Helpful for Managing Inflammatory Conditions (such as IBD or Rheumatism)
Oregano retains its solid antioxidant capacity in both fresh and dry mannequin. due to its gamey concentration of antioxidants, oregano all-important petroleum has been shown to help reduce oxidative damage and help in preventing mutagenesis, carcinogenesis and aging due its release root scavenge activities .
detached radicals are believed to be a contribute factor to coarse chronic conditions, including cancer, cardiovascular diseases, neurodegenerative disorders and drug perniciousness .
One discipline found that unite treatment with thyme and oregano essential oils helped reduce the output of proinflammatory cytokines and thereby may help attenuat e colitis ( a type of inflammatory intestine disease ) in mouse .
other studies show that oregano vegetable oil is beneficial for treating reoccurring respiratory disorders, tumor growth and rheumatoid arthritis. inquiry from the Universidad Nacional de Córdoba in Argentina indicates that all-important petroleum isolated from Origanum vulgare “ presents antibacterial, antioxidant and chemopreventive properties and could be play an crucial function as bioprotector agent. ”
8. May Help Improve Cholesterol Levels
research published in the Journal of International Medical Research suggests that adding marjoram vegetable oil supplement can improve cholesterol levels .
For the report, 48 patients with balmy lipemia were given life style and low-fat dietary advice. thirty-two of the patients ( study group ) were prescribed 25 milliliters of marjoram distillate to be taken after each meal for three months, and the remaining 16 patients were the operate group .
After the three-month study period, those in the discipline group showed importantly greater increases in high-density lipoprotein ( HDL ) cholesterol and importantly greater decreases in humble concentration lipoprotein ( LDL ) cholesterol compared to the see group .
How to Use
Oregano oil can be used locally, diffused or taken internally ( lone if it ’ mho 100 percentage curative class petroleum ). ideally, you purchase 100 percentage pure, unfiltered, Certified USDA Organic oregano oil .
It ’ south besides available as oregano oil voiced gels or capsules to take internally .
Before using marjoram essential oil on your skin, always mix it with a carrier vegetable oil, such as coconut oil or jojoba oil. This helps reduce the hazard for annoyance and adverse reactions by diluting the anoint .
To use it locally, mix three drops of undiluted oregano oil with a small total of your carrier petroleum, and then apply locally by rubbing into the skin over the feign sphere .
Oregano oil uses:
- Natural Antibiotic: Dilute it with a carrier oil, and apply it topically to the soles of your feet or take it internally for 10 days at a time and then cycle off.
- Battle Candida and Fungal Overgrowth: For toenail fungus, you can make a homemade antifungal powder that can be applied to your skin. Combine the ingredients with about 3 drops of oregano oil, stir and then sprinkle the powder onto your feet. For internal use, take 2 to 4 drops twice daily for up to 10 days.
- Fight Pneumonia and Bronchitis: For external infections, apply 2 to 3 diluted drops to the affected area. To prevent internal bacterial overgrowth, ingest 2 to 4 drops twice daily for up to 10 days.
- Fight MRSA and Staph Infection: Add 3 drops of oregano oil to a capsule or to the food or beverage of your choice along with a carrier oil. Take it twice daily for up to 10 days.
- Fight Intestinal Worms and Parasites: Take oregano oil internally for up to 10 days.
- Help Remove Warts: Make sure to dilute it with another oil or mix it with clay.
- Cleanse Mold From the Home: Add 5 to 7 drops to a homemade cleaning solution along with tea tree oil and lavender.
How much oregano essential oil to take internally:
- Your oil of oregano dosage will depend on the condition you’re treating. In capsule form, oral supplementation of emulsified oregano is typically around 600 milligrams daily. (Either taken in one or two doses.)
- A traditional use of oregano leaves is making digestive-aid tea. You can buy pre-made oregano tea or make your own by steeping 15 grams of oregano leaves in 250 milliliters of water for at least five–10 minutes (or longer to make a stronger herbal infusion, up to 24 hours).
- Because oregano oil might interfere with other medications, always ask your doctor if it’s safe to take internally depending on your specific situation.
Risks, Side Effects and Interactions
You may be asking : What limits does petroleum of marjoram have ? At this point, it ’ s not absolutely authorize .
I personally take marjoram all-important oil internally for a maximal of two weeks in most cases because it ’ s so brawny. When taking oregano oil internally, it should constantly be diluted with water or blend with coconut oil.
I find it ’ second helpful to combine marjoram oil with olive petroleum in capsules to avoid burning the throat. To prevent negative skin reactions from marjoram lotion, it ’ sulfur recommended that you perform a little spot test first and constantly use a carrier oil .
The dry herb marjoram is typically ticket for fraught women, but broadly speaking, it ’ s not considered safe to use marjoram anoint during pregnancy. When using petroleum of marjoram, fraught women should use circumspection and entirely use if instructed by their physicians to do so .
If side effects such as nausea, dizziness or an allergic reaction are ever experienced, stop using marjoram oil correct off, and consider seeing a doctor .
- Oregano (Origanum vulgare) is an herb used to make oil of oregano, which has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
- Oregano oil health benefits include fighting bacterial infections, fungal infections, digestive problems, inflammatory conditions and tumor growth.
- Oil of oregano can be used on the skin (such as to treat athlete’s foot or nail fungus), diffused or taken internally (such as to aid digestion and help promote gut health).