How to treat cold sores
There are things you can do at home to help manage cold sores. Watch this video recording to learn how to relive discomfort and avoid spreading the virus .
If you have a cold huffy, you ’ ll want to watch this television. In less than three minutes, you ’ ll learn how a cold sensitive differs from a canker sensitive. Yes, they are different. You ’ ll besides get tips for treating cold sores at home and listen from a dermatologist about how you can prevent infecting others with the virus that causes cold sores.
Reading: Cold sores: Tips for managing
Dermatologists’ tips for treating cold sores at home
Although most cold sores heal on their own, there are things you can do to help lessen the symptoms. This is what dermatologists tell their patients :
- To reduce the time that you have a cold sore: At the first sign of the zodiac of a cold huffy, gently apply an antiviral cold afflictive medicine. You can buy some without a prescription drug. Look for a product that contains docosanol or benzyl alcohol .
- To lessen pain, burning, or itch: Place ice on the cold afflictive or suck on ice chips. You can besides apply a non-prescription gel or cream that can help relieve pain. These normally contain either benzocaine, lidocaine, dibucaine, or benzyl alcohol .
- To lessen the pain: Take ibuprofen or acetaminophen .
- To avoid pain caused by foods: Some foods can cause burning if they touch a cold sore. You can avoid this by not eating foods that contain acerb, such as tomatoes and citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruits. Avoiding foods that are salty or hot can besides help .
- To minimize redness and irritation: Place a cleanse, cold, wet towel on the sores for 5 to 10 minutes a few times a sidereal day.
- To avoid dry, cracked skin: Gently apply petroleum jellify to the sores and surrounding hide .
When to see a dermatologist
Some people need help to clear cold sores. You should see your basal caution doctor or board-certified dermatologist if you have :
- Atopic dermatitis
- A weakened immune arrangement because you take a medicine that suppresses your immune arrangement or have a disease that weakens your immune organization
- A cold huffy close to one ( or both ) eyes
- A inclination to get cold sores several times a class
- Cold sores after 15 days
discussion can help you feel better and prevent complications. You can find out how dermatologists diagnose and treat cold sores at, Cold sores : Diagnosis & treatment. Reference
Fatahzadeh M and Schwartz RA. “ Human herpes simplex virus infections : Epidemiology, pathogenesis, symptomatology, diagnosis, and management. ” J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007 ; 57 ( 5 ) :737-63 .
Category : How To
Leave a Reply