How to automatically upgrade your graphics drivers
As we ’ ll visit below, manually upgrading graphics cards can be quite complicated. Plus, with modern driver releases every month, it ’ second hard to keep up with all the latest software .
even the most technical school understanding among us can get tired of constantly hunting for the latest acquittance. That ’ south why we developed a straightforward, automated solution .
Avast Driver Updater goes way beyond precisely keeping your graphics driver updated. It besides checks for outdated sound, network, printer, and scanner drivers —and mechanically installs them for you. That ’ mho one less thing to worry about, and it ’ s specially useful if you ’ ra building your own personal computer.
Download a free test of Avast Driver Updater and update your drivers today .
Use Windows Update to update graphics drivers
One of the easiest ways to update a driver is to use Windows ’ built-in tool, called Windows Update, which comes with Windows 7 and Windows 10. The drivers you get from Windows Update are fine-tune and certified by the Windows Hardware Quality Labs ( WHQL ). While these drivers typically aren ’ t the very latest versions, they are very static .
Perform the follow steps to upgrade your GPU drivers using Windows Update :
Update graphics drivers using Windows Update on Windows 7
- Open the Windows Start menu and go to the Control Panel .
Click on System and Security and Windows Update .
- Click Check for Updates if you don ’ t see any results even — that tells the operate system to check for regular Windows Updates and besides looks for newfangled drivers .
- search for graphics card drivers that mention manufacturer names related to graphics components, such as Intel Graphics, NVIDIA, or AMD Graphics. You may see these in the chief view or under the Optional Updates category. If you see one of these graphics wag drivers, snap on the Install button and wait for the installation to complete .
Update your graphics drivers using Windows Update on Windows 10
- Open the Start menu and click on Settings ( next to the little cog icon ).
- On the following screen, choose Windows Update & Security. You can check for updates hera .
Any GPU drivers that are found will be installed mechanically .
Use Windows Device Manager to manually upgrade graphics drivers
In most circumstances, Windows Update won ’ metric ton find a new driver. Although the companies that manufacture the graphics hardware normally release updates every calendar month, with bug fixes and optimizations for newfangled games, it takes a while for these changes to make their direction through the Microsoft certificate process ( if the company even bothers ) .
In Windows Update, you normally see a date following to each entry. If your graphics driver is older than three or four months, try using Windows Device Manager to upgrade to the latest driver .
Before you get started, it ’ sulfur fresh to create a system recovery point. This backs up all your current drivers, allowing you to return to the previous submit in case anything goes faulty .
To create your stand-in, right-click on Computer ( on your background ) and choose Properties. Click on the System Protection item on the leftover. In the adjacent window, click on System Protection, blue-ribbon Create, and follow the instructions on the blind .
immediately that you ’ ve created a backup, follow the steps below to update your drivers .
Update graphics card drivers on Windows 7
- Right-click on the Computer icon on your background, and choose Properties. then, loose Device Manager .
- Go to Audio, Video and Game Controller. Look for an entry for your graphics card, which looks something like this : You ’ re looking for anything that says graphics, VGA, Intel, AMD, or NVIDIA under the “ Display Adapters ” head .
- Double-click on the entry for your graphics card and switch to the Driver pill. Click on Update Driver .
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software .
If that doesn ’ thyroxine turn up anything new ( which should not worry you, because there doesn ’ t have to be an update version of your driver ), repeat steps 1-3 and alternatively choice Browse my computer for driver software.
- Windows now prompts you for a driver localization. If you haven ’ thymine downloaded a driver so far, skip below to learn how to get your graphics drivers .
- Found the good driver ? If it didn ’ t come with an installer, then extract that file from the directory to which you downloaded the file. The file about surely ends in “ .inf ” ( such as “ oem148.inf ” or “ intelgpu.inf ” ) .
- Click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Click on Have Disk and then Browse. Find the booklet of the new graphics driver you fair downloaded. Double-click on the .inf charge .
Click on Next to install the driver. Your display might go blank a few times, but when it comes back, you ’ ll see something like this :
( In some cases you might be prompted to reboot your computer, so be sure to follow this advice. )
- You got it ! If you like, explore the modern options the manufacturer provides in the graphics manipulate panel. To get to it, right-click on the desktop, then find Intel HD Graphic Options, NVIDIA Control Panel, or AMD Radeon Settings .
Update graphics drivers on Windows 10
Click on the Start menu and type in the words Device Manager. You are automatically presented with a few results, such as those in the screenshot below :
Click on Device Manager.
- Look for an submission in the list that ’ randomness related to your graphics card. It could be “ graphics, ” “ Standard VGA Controller, ” “ Intel Graphics, ” “ AMD Radeon, ” “ NVIDIA GeForce, ” or another brand name .
- Double-click on the graphics card entrance. There ’ s a divide Driver tab — chink on that to see the options. Click on Update Driver.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software. That may find an update for you. If not, repeat steps 1-3 and alternatively blue-ribbon Browse my computer for driver software .
- To use this option, you need to manually choose a driver. Read the section below about where to find artwork drivers .
Found a driver ? It may come with its own installer. If not, look for the file ( normally ending in .inf ) in your downloads directory. Click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Click on Have Disk and then Browse. Browse to the booklet that contains the new drive
- Click on Next to install the driver. concisely, you should see something like this :
- success ! Your graphics drivers are now up-to-date .
If you like, explore the newly graphics command panel to learn about new features or adjust settings. To do so, right-click on the Windows desktop, and find Intel HD Graphic Options, NVIDIA Control Panel, AMD Radeon Settings, or the name of the driver to discover its new options .
Where do I find graphics drivers?
There are actually only three major graphics driver makers : Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD. To get the latest updates, all you need to do is visit their official driver webpages :
Download the drivers and install them using the frame-up file or the manual of arms driver method acting described above .
How do I know if my graphics driver is up-to-date?
To see if you have an updated graphics driver, go to the Device Manager and count at the Drivers tab ( shown above ). If the Driver Date is only a month or two old, then you ’ re in good determine. If it ’ s older than that, you might want to look for a newer driver for your graphics calling card .
Why should I upgrade my graphics drivers?
Updating television display drivers is crucial on any computer. It ’ s key to getting top performance and the best possible ocular experience. here ’ s what regularly updating your GPU driver gives you :
- Full resolution and color depths : Without an update GPU driver, you might be limited to highly low resolutions ( such as 800×600 or 1024×768 ), a reduce tinge palette, or visible stammer when browsing the web. You don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate want your eyes strained like that .
Smooth game performance : We all want our computers to run deoxyadenosine monophosphate fast as possible — particularly if we ’ rhenium building our own bet on personal computer ! Every time a blockbuster game comes out, you can expect that the companies that make graphics drivers ( Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA ) will specifically optimize their hardware to take advantage of the new game .
The latest graphics drivers offer enhancements for newly released games. In some cases, games won ’ t evening run by rights without these “ optimized ” drivers .
- Support for external displays : many laptops won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate connect to an external expose without a proper driver installed. If you work with a moment monitor, then an up-to-date driver is mandate .
Updating your drivers manually can be a job. After all, you want to work or game with your personal computer, not hunt for drivers every month. An automatic driver updater is probably your best stake going ahead.
Update your other drivers
immediately that you ’ ve updated your graphics drivers, make certain all your early drivers are updated, besides :
Category : How To
Leave a Reply